Thursday, November 07, 2013

November Nuances

As the time on my Disney International Exchange Program is coming to an end, we find ourselves going to our last Florida State University Intercultural Communications class already. Our final assignment for the class is to write a report about our overall internship experience here at Walt Disney World...

For your reading pleasure I have posted it here, although I've made some alterations due to confidentiality of my other cast members :)

My goals for this experience were to gain as many intercultural friends as possible, and to make some business contacts if I could. I have already cemented a plethora of friendships with people from Japan, China, South Korea, New Zealand, Turkey, Africa (and of course America.) I have become very close friends with many of my managers/coordinators at work who support me and want me to come back.

I have made many friends who want a partnership in my dream business-goal of starting my own theatre company one day. Many of these friends want to visit me in Canada and a few of my roommates are already planning we should all visit each other in a few years.

I have successfully learned most common phrases in Cantonese, some Mandarin and a small bit of Korean. I have learned so much about Chinese, Japanese and Korean culture, lifestyle and cooking. Many of my friends are planning for me to visit them for my 25th birthday in a few years.

Through all of these experiences I have learned more about my own communication and leadership skills and that I do love the concept of international communication and relations. I feel like I have grown to become a very easily approachable person and friend and a respectable hard worker.

My main goal was to better myself by learning all and everything I could from this opportunity and I feel like during these past 6 months I have done that with no regrets.

I learned that I am completely in love with business; I have always loved the Walt Disney Company not only for its entertainment but for its business as well. Working here has given me a behind the scenes chance to fall in love with both of these sides of Disney. It has also rekindled my love for theatre and performance in general as it has taken a hiatus in my life due to other pressing matters.
I learned that I am a very responsible person, always being the one to fall back for other enjoyment or experiences and being the one to always think of the realistic outcomes and taking precautions.

One of the things that surprised me about the Walt Disney Company is its involvement in social responsibility. They are highly involved with children and the environment.

Through taking these classes (and the research provided) I have learned what a great company Disney is behind the scenes rather than on it as well. They care so much about the environment and the future health of our children and supporting local economies as well as safety and diversity.


3 Recommendations for the future of the Disney ICP Program...


1 - My first recommendation would be to first and foremost renovate the Vista Way complex. "This complex has the cheapest rent out of the 4 for a reason I have now learned." The maintenance & cleaning staff should be more precautious in making sure that these rooms/apartments are fit for human living. Everyone world-wide knows that Disney makes enough money that they cannot complain it would be a waste to set up these remodels or fixes every other few years or so.

2 - My second recommendation is that you should not have to fill out your DORMS roommate paperwork before a week before you come to Disney on your ICP program, many of my friends and I would’ve been better off to live together because they are more cleanly and understanding of my nut allergy than some of the roommates I had on this program. Many of my fellow program students have been stressed out or upset with their living situations. And the only solution Disney gives is to either be relocated after your 21st birthday  (because there are wellness and non-wellness 'alcohol-friendly' apartments,) or if you have a medical condition your roommates are not complying with.  If any students wish to move it should be their choice – it’s not like Disney would have to give a service because when students do get relocated they have to carry and move their own belongings. Most would be willing to pay a fee if just to be able to move once through their program.

3 - My third recommendation would be to monitor their bus companies more closely in order to keep the confusion and frustration to a low. Transtar has given many students problems and through my 6 months I have grown tired of talking about, dealing with and experiencing this frustration. (Don't worry future CP's Disney has already stated that they are getting their own private Disney Transportation for future years... lucky!)

Advice for any future ICP students...


I would tell any student wishing to take this opportunity to go for it – take every chance that comes to you. Meet anyone and everyone. Take the time to learn from other people about their countries and culture because they may invite you to visit one day. Become friends with your managers and they will support the choices you make and help you go further. Be accepting to the diversity and culture that Disney has to offer.

Go to parties and experience new things BUT always remember who you are and the precaution needed when in a different country. Never forget the values and morals that are dear to you and don’t get caught up in changing just because you’re “on vacation” or think that these 6 months are your fresh start.

Take advantage of the discounts and free passes – take pictures, meet characters, go to events and make the guests always feel as welcome as possible. Treat your fellow cast with as much respect as you do your own family (even if they may not deserve it at the time.) Never stop smiling because even if it isn’t said all the time, people do take notice. Always ask for extra tasks and to help out whenever you can – people appreciate it more than you know.

Be professional to everyone you meet because many Disney managers and “big-wigs” dress like regular cast members so you never know who you just helped pargo to the cafeteria or open the door for. Always be thankful for the road that took you here and the road that’s before you.

No comments:

Post a Comment