Saturday, October 05, 2013

Marvelous Magical Moments with Disney

It's hard to create magical moments for our guests when you work backstage. Especially in Costuming; sure we can make sure that feathers are groomed, fur is brushed, monsters are bathed, dresses are pressed and shoes are shined - but how do we help contribute to making magical moments at Disney?

I try my hardest to treat all of our dancers, performers and of course Mickey & his friends with the best courtesy and respect possible. I make sure that when they come in to visit the park that their shirts, pants, dresses, belts, hats, shoes and other accessories are in show-quality condition. When they have questions I try my best to answer or I find a coordinator who can. I try to keep them laughing and smiling through their long shifts and let them know whether they're coming or leaving Wardrobe that all their effort are appreciated.

But for cast members who work on stage its easier to have or give magical moments, and to see how guests appreciate their efforts. So how can you show a Costuming Host some appreciation?

Many of Mickey's friends come to Fantasmic! inside Hollywood Studios at the end of the night to help him perform in the show. If you haven't seen Fantasmic! than I suggest you do, or watch my explanation :)

I've become particularly close friends with Brier Bear, the Beast, Bashful, Rafiki, princess Tiana, Governor Radcliffe, Goofy, Pluto, Minnie, the Evil Queen, Mulan, Genie, Aladdin and Baloo. Some are very dear to my heart but all of Mickeys friend including himself are all fabulous!

Today my friend and I went to Animal Kingdom to get some pictures with some of Mickey's friends. We happened to get a picture with King Louie and Baloo.

Now Baloo is a very popular bear and I didn't think he took much notice of me at Fantasmic - although I always try to give the bears a brush before they go on stage.
I also try to catch as many friends as possible and ask them if they need anything before Mickey drives his Steamboat around to the audience.

Well after I hugged King Louie and said hello Baloo said to me "Hey, I know you" and gave me the biggest hug ever and asked me to marry him so that I could stay at work at Fantasmic.

You see my program is ending in a few months already and my friends and coworkers don't want me to go...

Then and there I got to partake in my own Magical Moment; Baloo was so appreciative of the friendship and courtesy I show him at fantasmic that he wanted to show me. He blew me a kiss and we took awesome pictures!


Then I realized how all of he performers and friends must appreciate costuming and all the entertainment staff in one way or another. Over the past couple months I've been so blessed with meeting so many people and working with great characters. And for anyone who works backstage at a park, business or show just remember that even if it isn't showed physically or verbally that you ARE appreciated what you do.

Can you think of a time you were shown appreciation or given a Magical Moment?

Feel free to comment with your stories or experiences, or on my videos about anything else you would like me to answer during our 6 month stay in the program.

As always I will be posting more blogs and videos during my stay in America, so please continue to visit :)

No comments:

Post a Comment