Sunday, September 01, 2013

Can you Position... your Brand now? (Part Two)

You've waited patiently now here it is! For those of you looking for a more detailed version of my tips on how to position your personal brand I've got it right here!

Representing your own brand (or even a position or brand of a company your employed with) is hard work. But it does pay off in the end! If you strategize you can make it fun instead of daunting and most things you never have to repeat or redo for a long time anyways - only keeping up to date.

So let's get started.. this blog will follow along with my Personal Branding video so I can explain the examples in more detail. And again if you're looking for tips on how to represent your company or job position brand then skip until the next post: There's nothing wrong with Tradition... when it come's to Media!

1 - DISCOVERING YOUR NICHE..


In reference to a niche market; which is a very targeted specific minority of consumers, products or services that you want to focus on.
For example, everyone uses mass Laundromats but how many of us specifically go to dry cleaners? Dry cleaners are in a niche market because they market to a specific kind of consumer (the kind that need their clothing handled with care and special attention.)

When looking for your niche you want to focus on the things that make you an individual (or individual company) in comparison to others or any competition.
This can be things like...
- Creative or Work skills (are you great at graphic design, or cinematography?)
- School Major/Minor
- Personality traits (are you crazy about copywriting and creativity?)
- current Job position
- Hobbies (if you love to plan events as a hobby why not turn it into a business?)

I am a very versatile and creative person so I wanted to showcase as many different skills as possible. I picked 8-10 words that describe the most important skills I feel I need to showcase to any consumers or potential employers.

You will always see these main skills in my resume, on my business cards, in my email and letter salutations and on my logos. Whatever niche you pick needs to embody who you are.

2 - CREATE YOUR VISUALS...


Unless you are already representing a company brand then you have to think of a logo that will represent your niche. Your logo should be a symbol that is easy to understand and remember, it should catch consumer's attention and if possible be humorous (it's always easier to remember a funny commercial you watched on TV right?)
If your opening an event planning business, maybe make a collage of party favours, if your a copywriter use a pencil with creative designs on the sides.

Not everyone needs a slogan or tagline, but it is a good way to remember your brand if the logo isn't catching as many eyes as you would hope. 'Keep it simple sweetie..' all you need is a few words, two sentences maximum that helps explain or describe your brand - or that helps consumers remember your brand or logo specifically.


The first and last thing I need any relationship (friendship, partnership, roommate...etc.) to know about me is the severity of my nut allergy. Then we can 'get down to business.' Because of this I wanted to incorporate it somehow into my brand logo because it is always going to be a part of me.
 
I received so much positive feedback about my logo that I decided to play up the brand even more. Everyone knows all deals and advertising comes with fine print, so I decided to play off that idea in a humorous way to make sure my brand was memorable.

Now that you've got your brand concept figured out it's time to start utilizing all that media we use in today's society!
 
Up next: There's nothing wrong with Tradition... when it come's to Media!

No comments:

Post a Comment