Friday, August 02, 2013

Everyone comes with 'baggage' does your include Chestnuts?

Dating can be simple or complicated... Exciting or boring... Tedious or fast-paced... but have you ever stopped to think that it could be deadly?

"Your food allergy may seem like an uncomfortable topic to bring up, but it's definitely much more comfortable to talk about it than to have a reaction. Be upfront with people you are interested in. If they care about you, they will understand and want to learn about how they can help keep you safe."
For most people the concept of meeting someone, asking them on a date and continuing from there seems very straight forward. But for people dealing with allergies it can be very difficult.

There are people allergic to specific types of cleaners... what do you think would happen if they got into a car on their first date after it had been cleaned with orange scented pinesol?
Of course there are people with food based allergies... how do you think they handle their first kiss? Or if they want to hold someone's hand? Or even go to a restaurant or bar?

It's awkward talking to people about your allergies and precautions as it is without giving a speech every time you meet someone new like... "Hi I'm [__] nice to meet you. I'm fatally allergic to __, __ & __ so before you shake my hand, give me a hug or try to kiss me goodnight tonight do you think you've eaten or touched anything that can harm me? No? Okay let's go then!"

Anaphylaxis Canada posted a (slightly corny but informational) video about teenage dating and dealing with food based allergies that I found very uplifting...



It's easier if your the first little while you go to places on your terms - not theirs. Go to restaurants or locations that you're comfortable with - or just hangout at home. The first few weeks I dated my boyfriend we were either hanging out in my backyard (got to love dating in the Summer) or at the park... etc.

It may be awkward but you do have to let them know what they are getting into. My boyfriend is almost more concerned about my allergy then I am now. He reads everything for me and gets very angry with his family if there is anything potentially harmful in the house when he warns them I'm coming over to visit. (His parents even bought me an allergen-free cookbook for Christmas!)

It's hard to explain allergies to people sometimes, but if they are really interested in you, or really enjoy being your friend then they will be understanding and patient with you. After all, how hard is it to just run upstairs and brush your teeth for 2min before you leave anyways?

No comments:

Post a Comment