Saturday, August 03, 2013

Is the 'Kiss of Death' real?

Have you ever wondered if the “kiss of death” is real? Well for people living with food based allergies it can be. I found this video while serving the web and if none of my other posts sums up how important understanding food based allergies are then I think this definitely will.


Anaphylaxis Canada produced this video explaining that people who deal with allergies don’t worry about the minuet thoughts like “am I wearing the right shade of lipstick?” or “should I close my eyes?” They are worried about meeting new people who aren’t aware of the situation and may have come in contact with what they are allergic to. Imagine that you are allergic to shellfish and you meet someone at a bar and go in for the kiss. How do you know if that person ate some shrimp or muscles before they came to the bar? One kiss is all it needs to trigger a reaction.

Makes you wonder how I’ve even made friends at all, or a boyfriend for that matter. It all comes down to acceptance and understanding. I surround myself with people who accept my allergy and understand that when they are around me or going to meet with me somewhere that they can’t eat the same things that they used to. I am very lucky to have found people like this and I hope that any future friends I meet are as accepting too.