Friday, November 04, 2011

Go Beyond the Cover: the Bare Bones of Advertising Campaigns (revised after marking)

When you think about DERMABLEND products do zombies come to mind? This is 26 year old Rick (Rico) Genest and he is the ZOMBIE BOY. Earlier this week I found DERMABLEND’s newest ad campaign starring Rico. The tagline is Go Beyond the Cover: How do you Judge a Book? The Creative Strategy or “Big Idea” is that you cannot always judge someone by their outward appearance.

Rick inspires people around the world to accept that inner and outer beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That in itself is a big contribution to get customers loyal with DERMABLEND’s brand. The fact that their products can completely cover that many tattoos flawlessly is brilliant.
 
DERMABLEND decided not to use a traditional celebrity endorsement where the subject stands with product in hand and raves about its benefits (this is called a factual appeal technique). Rico doesn't even speak during the whole video. After all actions do speak louder then words. The audience can only hear the background music There is Hope by Zoo Brazil featuring Rasmus Kellerman.

DERMABLEND used an emotional appeal technique for their ad. When you see Rico rubbing off the make up and revealing his tattoos it is very shocking. If I hadn't already known about Rick I would have been amazed myself although I am very impressed with the overall results of the products. As if the Zombie Boy didn’t catch your attention already this advertisement leaves you wanting to know more. Watching this video left me near speechless.
                                

I also found the behind the scenes video for anyone who wants to watch the transformation.

                                
I would definitely show this video to my students if I taught advertising classes. You cannot help but understand how savvy this advertisement is and how inspiring their campaign is. Koodos to you DERMABLEND!