Monday, March 17, 2014

Life after Disney... in Toronto??? An IAB Adventure..

After returning back to college life in Canada after the Disney International Exchange Program I was left with the dilemma of how to graduate on time with the rest of my classmates... One of my professors found a solution in IAB Canada, an interactive advertising bureau that is fully-dedicated to the development and promotion of digital/interactive advertising in Canada.
IAB Canada is the national voice and de facto thought leader of the Canadian digital marketing and advertising industry, and is a not-for-profit association representing Canada’s most well-known and respected advertisers, agencies, media companies, mobile and video game marketers & developers, measurement companies, service providers, educational institutions and government associations operating within the space.
The Game-plan? I take 2 day-seminars (at a thankful student discount of course) in two of the courses I missed during my Spring semester, write a report on what I learned & my experience, all in exchange for the passing grade and certification that I have full knowledge in those subjects enough to graduate properly!

The Solution?
Course #1: Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
Course #2: Interactive Digital Marketing

So as much as I HIGHLY distaste Toronto... (Not the city or the people in general... for the most part... just the congestion) off I went on a 2hr 'Escape' VIA train ride at 8:30 at night to arrive at my hotel at basically midnight... I now know I probably should warn the hotel of my overly late check-in... although it is funny to walk up to the front lobby and see the scared looks on their faces when I try to open their locked doors and say "Good evening I have a reservation.." (ugh I distaste Toronto...)

I received a beautifully warm welcome from IAB's head hostess & clerk Amberlea Bruch and indulged in a more awakening breakfast fit for business professionals alike (heaven to an allergy-sufferer!)

There were many big names in the 'classroom' that day, Mercedez-Benz, Canadian Tire, George Brown College and ING Direct just to name a few - and all job positions ranging from account directors, media buyers and financial teams.

I won't get into the details of our long day (plus they gave us a 'textbook' the side of an old desktop computer and twice as thick..,) and I thought college was bad, wait until your in a room with business professionals that for a day get to become college students all over again! But it was definitely interesting to view first-hand how our current industry leaders think, analyze and learn.
The day's survivors got a beautiful certificate to show their knowledge and strength! I'm sure in the near future I will post a blog about my understanding of SEO and Google Analytics... (whether it will be factual or funny I have not yet decided..) In any case, for a day I suppose Toronto was fun... if not tolerable. And although I distaste Toronto I was thoroughly impress with my Interactive Digital Marketing course!

No comments:

Post a Comment