Wednesday, April 17, 2013

'Cracking' down on Nut allergies

For most people I meet they don’t really know or understand what a food allergy is. It’s hard to think that in this day and age there are still people who don’t even know allergies exist or how to deal with them. It’s even harder when you start to realize the people around you really do take everyday interaction with everyday objects for granted.

People with food based allergies take risks everyday with bacteria and cross-contamination. We shouldn’t have jobs where we have to clean merchandise and touch shelves (and God only knows where that 20.00 dollar bill plus change your giving to your customer has been). We shouldn’t touch public doorknobs or school desks or chairs because who knows what the student before you ate there.

My mom taught me that yes you do have to be careful. She taught me that you have to just take a step back, breathe, and have enough patience to try to teach the ones around you so that they understand better.

My best friend could tell you I have a bottle of hand sanitizer in my purse, backpack, and my room. A few of my classmates have even stared as I “sanitized my hand sanitizer bottle” after someone asked if they could use some. But I can’t live my life in a bubble of safety. No one should let any kind of allergy shelter you from living your life to the fullest.
There’s a saying that “it takes two to tango” and that goes for friendships and relationships as well. If a relationship is going to work then you both have to trust and understand each other. Although I have grown up only trusting myself, an allergy is a heavy burden to bear on your own.

Most people I talk to ask me why I don’t just say I have a “peanut allergy” instead of a “nut allergy” and this is because it makes NO sense to take such a risk to get tested to see if I am only allergic to chestnuts or walnuts. For more information ALLERGIC LIVING
posted a great article explaining “the scoop on peanuts and nut oils”.